John Abbass Sr. Memorial Scholarship
The John Abbass Sr. Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in the memory of John Abbass Sr. by Family Business Atlantic. This annual $3,000 Scholarship is awarded to children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews of Family Business Atlantic members, or family business owners in Nova Scotia and helps promote post-secondary business education pursuits. Applications are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee, with the award disbursed to the winning candidate’s post secondary educational institution.
2022 Recipient: Jasmine Day
We are delighted to support Jasmine Day’s post secondary education with ou 2022 $3,000 scholarship. Jasmine is no stranger to family business, having grown up in one – Atlantic Digital Reproductions. Atlantic Digital was started by Jasmine’s grandfather and past FBA President, John Day. Today Jasmine, her father and uncles all work in the business. She has worked part-time while going to school and helps out with small tasks such as packaging and organizing products. She says she has watched the business grow over the years and it has played a major role in her life.
In addition to an impressive academic record she is an active volunteer. Jasmine and her mother have a Christmas tradition spending several days throughout November and December collecting donations on behalf of Feed NS. She also gives time to a local food truck in Sackville called Freedom Kitchen, and volunteers at Covid rapid testing sites. She says that she loves to give back and help people and that volunteering gives her a different perspective on life. Jasmine will be heading to Dalhousie University in September to begin a BA in Science. She hopes to one day become a psychiatrist and will be using the scholarship to help her achieve this goal. We wish her so much success and know that she is well positioned to fulfill her dreams.
Applications are now open for 2023!
Applications open in January of each year – download a copy of the application form here
Application deadline: March 31, 5pm ATL
Judges decision late April/early May
Note: Due to COVID-19, 1 PDF electronic application is preferred. However if some items (such as a transcript) are not available electronically, they may be dropped off at our office.
- Candidates must be a resident of Nova Scotia (may be attending a post-secondary institution outside of Nova Scotia).
- Candidates must be in the process of taking their first post-secondary educational pursuit.
- Candidates degree should have a business focus or be related to their family business.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade point average of 80%.
- Candidates will preferably have a family business background, interest in becoming involved in their family business or pursing their own business interests.
- Candidates must be applying for the first time – only one submission per applicant permitted.