Social Media for Small Business | Course Outline
For 99% of small businesses in Nova Scotia, engaging on social media platforms is a critical part of their marketing. Existing and potential customers expect to find you on at least one platform like Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Not being there is essentially turning business away. They key is the right strategy, the right channels and the right brand engagement.
This 12 step course is designed specifically for small businesses in Nova Scotia. The goal of the course is that as a small business owner, you’ll know how to build your brand and use social media to drive revenues.
• Understand why and how consumers use social media
• The fundamentals of building a social media brand and presence
• Doing market and customer research on social media to find revenue opportunities
• How to avoid and manage a social media crisis
• Managing your brand reputation online
• Developing and implementing a content strategy
• How not to let social media take over your business
• Mistakes and pitfalls and how to avoid them
• Finding the right channels for your specific business
• How to integrate social media into your overall marketing strategy
• How to use social media to drive inbound leads and sales opportunities
• Digital tools for free or low-cost for creative, analysis and management
• Advertising strategies for social media (Facebook boosting/ads, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.)
• How to create metric to measure success the right way (Likes don’t make you money!)
Course Format The course is delivered in 3.5 hour sessions once per week over a nine week period. So just a few hours every week. It is delivered in a hands-on, practical way. Over the course you will be actively building your social media strategy and implementing it. Classes are interactive with group activities, discussions and personal activities during the class.
The course and materials are designed to keep you engaged and thinking all the way through with time for active discussion when needed.
Course Instructor: Giles Crouch, Ekspansiv
Giles has been active in the technology industry in global marketing communications for over 25 years. He lead the charge to develop Atlantic Canada’s first eCommerce website for consumers in 1997. Giles has been deeply involved in social media since 2009 and co-founded a social media analytics firm which he ran for six years. In addition, he has given numerous interviews on CTV News regionally and nationally, CBC The National and CBC Nova Scotia, CBC Radio One, BBC Channel 4 and Global TV News as well as various newspapers and magazines regionally and around the world on social media and technology topics.
Giles has delivered social media for small business courses to CEED (Centre for Entrepreneurship Education & Development) and St. Mary’s University Sobey School of Business. He has lectured on social media for marketing, public affairs and public policy at Dalhousie University, Mount Saint Vincent University and NSCC on multiple occasions. For almost a decade Giles delivered the Annual State of Social Media session at Podcamp Halifax detailing how Atlantic Canadians use social media through compelling infographics and data analysis. He is principal at Ekspansiv a design anthropology firm that does social media research and helps businesses through digital transformations and he is co-founder of the Ice Awards for creative in advertising.
13 Feb 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
20 Feb 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
27 Feb 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
05 Mar 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
12 Mar 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
26 Mar 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
02 Apr 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
09 Apr 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
16 Apr 2020, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM